Boston Red Sox manager John Farrell revealed to reporters on Tuesday morning that last year’s Opening Day starter in left-handed pitcher David Price will likely open the season on the ten-day disabled list because of a left elbow strain.
The news about Price’s health is not shocking at all, considering he still hasn’t pitch in a game following a spring training outing on February 28th in-which Price told team officials about swelling and and soreness. The good news regarding Price is that he has resumed playing catch.
“I think at this point, yeah, it’d be hard to see him ready to go at the start of the season,” Farrell said, per the Boston Herald. “You know, we really won’t have any kind of idea until he gets on the mound the first time. And right now I don’t know when that’s gonna be.”
With Price set to hit the disabled list unless substantial progress is made ahead of April, the Red Sox will have Steven Wright, Drew Pomeranz, and Eduardo Rodriguez behind Porcello and Sale to start the season.
Starting Sale on Opening Day makes the most sense, as it would be his first start with the Red Sox since the team acquired him via trade this off-season with the Chicago White Sox. Boston parted with prospects Yoan Moncada, Luis Alexander Basabe, Michael Kopech, and Victor Diaz.
Porcello, however, also makes a very compelling case to be Farrell’s Opening Day starter. The 2016 American League Cy Young Award Winner had a career year in his second season with the Red Sox, going 22-4 on the year with a 3.13 earned run average and 189 strikeouts in 223 strikeouts, using the fastball as his most effective pitch.
One thing that is clear about the Red Sox rotation once Price comes off the disabled list – they will be the favorites to win the American League with that loaded starting rotation. On offense, the team looks even scarier on paper, with Mookie Betts leading the way.
Price went 17-9 last season for the Red Sox with a 3.99 earned run average and 228 strikeouts over 230 innings of work. In 2017, Price is entering the second-year of a massive, seven-year, $217 million contract the Red Sox inked him too in December 2015.
[twitter-follow screen_name='tony_montalto' show_count='yes']