Miami Marlins star Jose Fernandez tragically lost his life early Sunday morning after being involved in a boating accident on Miami Beach.
The United States coast guard arrived to the scene at Miami Beach around 3 a.m. They then discovered a 32-foot boat flipped upside down on a jetty off the beach. None of the three victims in the accident had been wearing a life vest.
Lorenzo Veloz, a spokesman for the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission, confirmed in a news conference that Fernandez was indeed one of the three victims in the incident.
View this post on Instagram
My brother. You were family to me…my heart is hurting wishing you would just burst through the clubhouse doors any second now late like always laughing telling me how many red and yellow snapper you caught last night…you were always happy and kept the biggest smile on your face…you may have rubbed people who didn't get to know you the wrong way at times but I always had your back no matter what and didn't never let you get in any of those brawls…last Sunday when you came to chapel with me is crazy now bc you said you needed to go…you just told me that your last game was "the best game I ever pitched in my life" and it was your last…I don't know if God was calling you last Sunday and made you decide to come to chapel or helped you pitch your best game but I do know I love you and I'm so hurt to see my brother go…I know I'm being selfish but you weren't just a teammate to me…you were family…I love you Josey!!! Long Live YOU FOREVER!!!! Rest In Peace my brother I hope you and God catch the biggest fish heaven has to offer. #JDF16FOREVER
There was no evidence of illegal alchool or drug use at the accident, but it is believed that speed was a factor in the crash due to the impact with the jetty.
“It does appear that speed was involved due to the impact and the severity of it,” Veloz said. “It does appear to be that they were coming at full speed when they encountered the jetty, and the accident happened.”
Once the news became public knowledge, the Marlins promptly canceled their Sunday contest against the Braves, a game Fernandez was originally scheduled to start before the team moved him back to Monday on Saturday to make room for Adam Conley, who was coming off the disabled list.
“All of Baseball is shocked and saddened by the sudden passing of Miami Marlins pitcher José Fernández,” Major League Baseball commissioner Rob Manfred said in a statement released to the public. “He was one of our game’s great young stars who made a dramatic impact on and off the field since his debut in 2013. Our thoughts and prayers are with his family, the Miami Marlins organization and all of the people he touched in his life.”
Fernandez, who was the 14th overall pick in the 2011 MLB Draft, was 16-8 this season with a 2.68 earned run average and 253 strikeouts in 182.1 innings of work. In addition to being a 2-time all-star, Fernandez was the National League’s Rookie of the Year in 2013.
The 24-year-old Fernandez struck out 31.2% of the batters he faced in his sadly short MLB career, the highest strike out rate by a starting pitcher in Major League history.
Fernandez’s final career numbers include a 38-17 win-loss record, a 2.58 earned run average, 589 strikeouts over 471.1 innings of work.
[twitter-follow screen_name='tony_montalto' show_count='yes']